Saturday, July 30, 2016

Sokehs Mountain

Sokeh Mountain (and ridge) from a distance



Yesterday Lin and I took a hike up Sokehs Mountain.  Sometimes called Pohndollap, this is a long ridge running the length of Sohehs Island with a knoll in the middle that is 906’ above sea level.  Given that we are right next to the sea, this is a pretty significant rise in elevation.  The ridge forms one side of the Kolonia harbor, so it is within walking distance of our apartment.  I had hiked over part of the ridge a couple of months ago, but this time we wandered over the entire area.  Of most interest is the fact that the ridge was a key location of the Japanese fortifications during World War II, and there remain the remnants of several buildings, bunkers, and artillery pieces.  At the summit of Dollap is a Japanese searchlight platform that now supports a cellular phone tower.

The hike up is along a steep overgrown jeep trail.  Once on the ridge, there are several information stands that point out trails to the various locations of two anti-aircraft guns and a coastal defense artillery weapon.  The latter still remains in a bunker that looks out over Palikir Pass, a barrier reef passage to the island.  We also wandered around the site of the Japanese command post, most of which has been reduced by time and American bombing runs in 1944 to low foundations and bomb craters.  We did climb atop a large circular structure that was probably 12 feet high and 20 feet across with a steel rung ladder leading down inside.  Not sure what it was used for.  From what we read, the fortifications were not particularly successful in defending the island.  Although the two anti-aircraft and coastal defense guns remain, the American aircraft bombing runs in 1944 leveled Kolonia and knocked out its defenses, reducing the island’s effectiveness as a Japanese outpost.  There is only one American aircraft that was known to have been shot down during these raids.

While I was fascinated by the war remnants, Lin focused on the flora and the views.  Her impressions:

Yes, while the Japanese fortifications were interesting, I found the natural surroundings more appealing.  As we followed the trails to the various ruins, the jungle was an immediate presence. Towering above us were huge trees (most of which I cannot identify), and on ground level was vegetation so much larger and bolder than anything we have at home.  My favorite was the flowers.  Since Roger was manning the camera, he willingly took pictures of the colorful blooms.  I am awaiting the arrival of my new tropical plant identification book so that I can put names to the photos.

This was my first hike in Pohnpei, my first in a very hot and humid climate.  I had my reservations.  But, despite the fact that we walked over seven miles, and I produced more sweat than ever before, it was well worth it.  The views from the cell phone tower on top were amazing. Pohnpei is an island but you can forget that when you are in Kolonia—few water views, no beaches, etc.  So getting up on top of Sokehs Mountain stoked our desire to get out away from the island itself and explore surrounding islands, the coral reef, and most of all, the water.  Since I technically I can’t go out on the water until I have my Peace Corps water training, I am glad that is happening next week.

The coastal battery looking out through a narrow slit.  Below, the bunker behind the gun.


Anti-aircraft guns


Mysterious round tower with ladder leading down inside


A section of the trail 






Pohnpei Airport Landing Strip



Just when you think you can't get any further away from technology, a guy with a drone shows up!  He was attempting to view the gun placements from above, but got caught up in the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment